Smart Litterbox Monitor Set-Up & User Guide
Discover a new dimension of care.
Your cat’s litterbox behavior can tell you a lot about their health. The Petivity™ Smart Litterbox Monitor tracks behavior and weight and alerts you when changes might require your attention or a visit to the veterinarian. This guide will provide you with information and tips for set-up, as well as important safety and warranty info.
We’re here to help you get started on your journey toward proactive care. Regardless of where you purchased your Smart Litterbox Monitor, please direct any questions, concerns or return inquiries to Petivity at:
- 1 x Petivity™ Smart Litterbox Monitor
- 6 x AA Batteries
- 1 x Power Cord
Note: Choose either the provided power cord or 6 AA batteries to power the monitor. Do not use both power sources simultaneously. If your cat is a cord-chewer, we recommend using batteries.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
In addition to what’s included, you’ll need:
- An iPhone or Android smartphone.
- A WiFi connection. If your WiFi is password protected, have your password handy.
Warning: DO NOT STAND ON MONITOR. The smart monitor is specially calibrated for cats. Standing on your monitor or placing anything heavier than 60 pounds on top of it may damage it.
1. Install the App
Before powering on your monitor, download the Petivity mobile app, which will help guide you through the rest of the set-up process.
2. Prepare for Set-Up
Ensure that your phone is connected to your home WiFi network and Bluetooth is enabled. Have your home WiFi password handy.
3. Choose a Power Source
You have two options for powering your monitor. Use either the power cord or batteries provided, whichever is most convenient for the location of your monitor. Do not use both power sources simultaneously. (If your cat is a cord-chewer, we recommend using batteries.)
If using power cord:
Find the USB port on the bottom of your monitor. Plug the power cord in and run the cord through one of the provided channels.
If using batteries:
Find the battery cover on the bottom of your monitor. Remove cover and insert batteries, then replace cover. Note that using rechargeable batteries may cause the battery life indicator within the app to not display accurately. If you choose to use rechargeable batteries, use 1.2V or 1.5V AA.
4. Set Up Your Monitor and Cat Profile in the App
Open the Petivity app and follow the set-up instructions to complete your monitor set-up and create a profile for your cat or cats.
After your monitor connects to WiFi for the first time, it will automatically check for a software update. If there is an update available, your monitor will automatically download the update. This may take 2–3 minutes; please keep the monitor powered on during the update and do not press the status button.
Once your monitor is successfully set up, place your litterbox on top—the monitor will begin collecting data as soon as your cat uses the litterbox.
MONITOR PLACEMENT & MAINTENANCE
Where to Place Your Monitor
- The monitor works best in an indoor, climate-controlled environment. Do not use the monitor outdoors or in areas with high humidity, high heat, or direct sunlight. Where possible, avoid placing the unit on a surface that receives continuous sunlight.
- When placing the monitor in your home, ensure it is at least 1 inch away from all walls or other obstacles. Failure to provide adequate clearance may cause interference with data or readings.
- Avoid using litterboxes that are larger than 21 by 16 inches or that are not appropriately shaped to fit entirely on the monitor. Using these kinds of boxes may cause the box to slip off the monitor when the cat is on or near the edge of the box.
- Avoid using litterboxes that are self-cleaning.
- The monitor is designed to function best on a smooth, level, hard surface. If using a mat or placing the monitor on carpeting, extend the adjustable feet to the highest level to ensure the monitor is not touching the carpet, mat or other flooring surface. Uneven monitors may cause a disruption in data.
- Do not remove the monitor feet (or disassemble any other parts of the monitor). Doing so increases the risk of losing or damaging parts and may create choking hazards for small children and pets.
Once your monitor is set up, there’s some simple maintenance that can help it continue to accurately gather data and learn about your cat. Check for the following about every other week, or whenever you’re changing the litter:
- If using the power cord, make sure there are no signs that it’s being chewed by your cat or other pets. If you find any evidence of chewing, switch to battery power.
- Be sure your monitor and litterbox have a 1-inch clearance on all sides and are not touching walls, baseboards, furniture or other objects.
- To clean your smart monitor, vacuum excess litter around the base and between the litterbox and monitor. Wipe down with a moist cloth. If using any cleaning products, please spray the cloth rather than the monitor.
- Do not submerge the monitor in water or other liquids.
- Do not hose down or spray liquid at the monitor as this may cause liquid to enter the monitor and damage the electronics.
- The materials in these monitors have not been thoroughly evaluated for chemical resistance across the full range of cleaning products and disinfection agents. Cosmetic damage may occur to the surfaces over time if monitor is repeatedly wiped down with cleaning or disinfecting products.
SUPPORT & TROUBLESHOOTING
If you have questions or need a hand with set-up, we’re here. Call 866-979-2477 or visit Petivity Support.
- If you’re having trouble connecting to WiFi, ensure you are using the 2.4 GHz band on your router. (This is an option on most home networks.)
- For best results and reliable data performance, make sure the monitor’s feet are flush with the floor and are adjusted to the highest level. Before placing the litterbox on top of the monitor, gently push on one corner of the monitor to make sure it does not wobble and that the monitor is level.
- Make sure your monitor and litterbox have 1 inch of clearance on all sides and are not touching walls, furniture or other objects.
- If you use a litter mat, make sure the mat is not in contact with the bottom of your monitor and that all four feet are on the mat.
Precautions and Guidelines for Safety and Best Results
If at any time you encounter any malfunction, overheating or other issue with a monitor, please immediately cease using the monitor, turn it off (if safely able to do so) and contact our Consumer Support team by calling 866-979-2477 or visiting Petivity Support.
Keep these Precautions and Guidelines in an accessible location for future reference, if needed.
Petivity Device Specifications
Model Number: LT1A
External Power Supply Ratings
- Input: 100–240Vac, 50/60Hz, 0.2A, 11–15VA
- Output: 5.0Vdc, 1.0A
Environmental Conditions Altitude:
- Up to 200m
- Temperature: 5 to 40°C
- Relative Humidity: 0–95% RH, Non-Condensing
- Mains Supply Voltage Fluctuations: +/- 10%
- Overvoltage Category: Overvoltage Category II
- Pollution Degree of Intended Environment: Pollution Degree 2
- Degree of Ingress Protection: IPX0
- Positioning for Disconnection: Do not position product in a way that is difficult to operate the disconnecting device
- Direct Current (DC)
- Underwriters Laboratories (UC)
Device is UL Certified for Safety under File Number E528348.
6x AA Batteries
- Use alkaline AA batteries only. Note that using rechargeable batteries may cause the battery life indicator within the app to not display accurately. If you choose to use rechargeable batteries, use 1.2V or 1.5V AA. Do not mix old and new batteries or batteries from different brands. Dispose of batteries in accordance with local guidelines.
- Monitor condition of batteries and remove/replace if showing signs of decay or corrosion.
- Follow the directions to ensure proper installation of battery door. If not properly installed, battery door can pop out if dropped or damaged. Batteries can become a choking hazard to animals and children. If battery compartment door is lost, misplaced or damaged, contact our Consumer Support team by calling 866-979-2477 or visiting Petivity Support.
- Instead of 6 AA batteries, the monitor can be powered with the enclosed power cord. Please note that any use of a power cord carries risks of cats or other animals chewing cables or equipment, electrical shock, and tripping hazards. If you’re using the power cord to power the monitor, check for any evidence that your cat or other pets have been chewing on the cord. If you see any evidence of chewing, switch to battery power.
- If using the power cord, please avoid high traffic areas to prevent tripping.
- If at any time you encounter any malfunction, overheating or other issue with the monitor, please immediately cease using the monitor and turn it off (if safely able to do so).
- Please do not use other power cords with your smart monitor except for the one provided. If you have issues or need a replacement, please contact our Consumer Support team by calling 866-979-2477 or visiting Petivity Support.
- The monitor is designed to support a total weight of up to 60 pounds. Do not stand on the monitor or allow a weight of greater than 60 pounds to rest on top of the monitor.
- Do not attempt to weigh your cat by placing it directly on the monitor. Weight will be accurately calculated when monitor is correctly set up under the litterbox.
- Not intended for use with kittens.
- Avoid using litterboxes that are larger than 21 by 16 inches, litterboxes that are not appropriately shaped to fit entirely on the monitor, or litterboxes that are self-cleaning.
- If the monitor is dropped or broken, please use caution as there could be potential sharp edges that could cause harm to animals or users. If small pieces break off, they can create a choking hazard or cause physical damage to animals or children. Dropping a monitor may cause a disruption in data.
SATISFACTION GUARANTEE & RETURNS
Petivity Satisfaction Guarantee
Petivity products come with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can return your Petivity Smart Litterbox Monitor undamaged within 90 days of purchase for a full refund.
To Qualify for a Refund:
A Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) must be requested from our Consumer Support team within 90 days of your purchase date. Contact our Consumer Support team by calling 866-979-2477 or visiting Petivity.com/Support. We will provide you with a shipping box and pre-paid shipping label to use for your return.
- Returned product(s) must be in good physical condition (not physically broken or damaged).
- All accessories originally included with your purchase must be included with your return.
- Your purchase price, excluding tax, will be refunded through the original payment method.
- You shall assume all risk of loss or damage to the product while in transit to Petivity’s return center. Petivity will not be responsible for any packages lost in transit to the return center.
- If you return the product without obtaining a return label from the Consumer Support team, or if you are unable to provide a return label tracking number or proof of return (if you processed the return yourself), Petivity retains the right to refuse delivery of the return or provide a refund.
If you have a specific question about any product returns, contact our Consumer Support team by calling 866-979-2477 or visiting Petivity Support.
1-Year Limited Warranty
This limited warranty contains important information about your rights and obligations, as well as limitations and exclusions that may apply to you.
Petivity is a high-quality product and, with proper care, is intended to provide years of satisfactory performance. Your Petivity monitor comes with a 1-year limited warranty. Our warranty is limited to the terms set out below.
- Petivity warrants that your monitor will be free of defects in materials or workmanship under normal proper use for one year from the date the monitor is activated. If a hardware defect arises and a valid claim is received within the warranty period, Petivity will replace the monitor.
- If a replacement smart monitor is sent, it will carry a non-transferable warranty for the remainder of the original warranty period.
- This limited warranty ONLY applies to products purchased from authorized seller(s). Products purchased from unauthorized resellers are NOT subject to the limited warranty. Proof of purchase (or trackable order ID) is required for warranty service.
- This limited warranty shall not extend to anyone other than the original purchaser of this product, is non-transferable and states the exclusive right of the purchaser to remedy.
- Petivity may request you replace defective parts with new or refurbished user-installable parts (e.g., power cord, battery cover) that Petivity provides in fulfillment of its warranty. A replacement product or part, including a user-installable part that has been installed by instructions provided by Petivity, assumes the remaining warranty of the original product or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you. When a product or part is exchanged, any replacement item becomes your property, and the replaced item becomes Petivity property.
- Parts provided by Petivity in fulfillment of its warranty obligation must be used in products for which the warranty service is claimed.
For Petivity to provide you the limited warranty coverage, we will ask you to return the defective product for assessment should it need to be replaced.
- Please do not return your Petivity monitor without first speaking to our Petivity Consumer Support team to obtain a return label and box.
- To obtain warranty service under the limited warranty, you must deliver the product in packaging provided to you or in packaging providing an equal degree of protection to an address specified by Petivity.
- Petivity may require you furnish proof of purchase from the official and authorized seller(s) and additional details.
- Petivity will cover the return shipping cost for authorized returns within the limited warranty that may result in replacement. The purchaser may be responsible for the costs of shipping the product to our return center if the origin address is not of the same country as the order delivery address. Our Petivity Consumer Support team will provide the nearest return center address near or within the region.
- Our Petivity Consumer Support team will contact any consumer for returned packages that include: excessive aesthetic damages previously not mentioned, an incorrect product, or empty shipments.
- Consumers will not be able to request more than one replacement within warranty until the prior replacement has been shipped back. Refusal to return a product for a replacement after a new product has been delivered may result in having the original product disabled.
Exclusions and Limitations
Software distributed by Petivity with or without the Petivity brand name (including, but not limited to system software) is not covered under this Limited Warranty. Petivity does not warrant that the operation of the product will be uninterrupted or error-free. Petivity is not responsible for damage arising from failure to follow instructions relating to the product’s use. This warranty does not apply:
- to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, flood, fire, earthquake, or other external causes;
- to damage caused by operating the product outside the permitted or intended uses described by Petivity;
- to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Petivity;
- to a product or part that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Petivity;
- to consumable and mechanical platform parts unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship;
- to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents, and broken plastic on ports;
- to monitors that were purchased with unauthorized resellers. Petivity’s limited warranty ONLY applies to products purchased from authorized sellers.